The department provides neuro-diagnostic investigations for patients of all ages from a number of satellite hospitals and other government health services in seven provinces out of nine provinces in the island.
Services include diagnosis of:
- Epilepsy (adult and paediatric)
- Peripheral nervous system disorders (polyneuropathies, myopathies, myasthenia, radiculopathies, plexopathies)
- Multiple sclerosis and other inflammatory disease of central nervous system (evoked potentials)
- EEG (awake and asleep) and further video EEG – video EEG monitoring is performing.
- EMG and nerve conduction studies.
- Evoked potentials
- EMG (electromyography) and NCS (nerve conduction studies) – these valuate function and assets of the nerves and muscles within the body.
- As Therapeutic procedure Botulinum toxin (Botox) injections for patients with temporarily paralyse muscle activity.
Investigations are carried out in neurology, paediatric, medical, psychiatric and other wards, intensive care and peripheral hospitals in Kandy , Matale , Kegalle , Badulla , Nuwara Eliya , Anuradhapura, Vauniya, Trincomale , Batticaloa , Ampara districts. Neurophysiology studies can make significant differences to patients by helping to make the correct diagnosis and guiding timely treatment.
We have been using paper-fed EEG machines in the past, but recently switched to using three latest Digital EEG machines that support Video EEG telemetrics.
Furthermore, we had only a single EMG/NCS machine for several years, but now the unit is equipped with 2 latest Digital EMG machines allowing us to conduct tests with high technical accuracy.