The Lab offers 24 hours service performing diagnostic Bacteriology and Mycology investigations from the samples received from both in-patients and clinics in Teaching Hospital Kandy and also from several outreach health centers in central province.
The Bacteriology Section
- Isolates and identifies clinically significant microorganisms from clinical specimens such as blood, sputum, cerebrospinal fluid, other body fluids and urine and performs antimicrobial susceptibility testing on these bacterial pathogens. These functions are performed with the Vitek-2 automated instrument.
- Additional reference identification and susceptibility testing methods for other, more fastidious bacterial agents are also available.
- Performs blood cultures using the Bactec system, which provides continuous monitoring of blood cultures for the entire 5-day incubation period.
The Mycology Section
- Performs identification and anti-fungal susceptibility testing on clinically significant yeast isolates.
- Provides identification of pathogenic moulds recovered from clinical specimens, including dermatophytes, moulds causing wound and systemic infections, and systemic mycotic agents such as Histoplamsa capsulatum and Blastomyces dermatiditis.
- Performs Procalcitonin using Mini-vidas for selected patients with sepsis.